Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This I Believe by Teodora Mitova

When we are fourteen, we are not kids anymore. We know what is good for us (most of the time), we know what we want to do, and we can make our own decision about our life. Therefore, I believe that we should be allowed to choose what to study from eighth grade and above. At least, with the agreement of our parents. Moreover, we will be more ambitious if we study only what we want and need.
For example, I’d like to study only Bulgarian, Literature, English and five other foreign languages instead of Math, Geography, Chemistry and Physics, et cetera. If I study mostly languages, they will be of great help and use for me when I travel around the world or look for a job. I don’t want my profession to be connected with Math, History, Geography, Chemistry and Physics, so I don’t see why I should study them. You can call me lazy, but I’m just practical.
When I finish school, I’ll forget many of the learnt information because I won’t need and use it, so why do I have to waste time to learn it? Why do they want to torment us with difficult material that is useless in our life? Why should I study for hours something I won’t need instead of reading a book or going to the cinema?
I don’t say we should not study all subjects. We should study them for general knowledge but only until we are fourteen. Now I’m in eighth grade and in Math I study square root and vectors and I don’t think I’ll use them in my whole life. We go to school to get prepared for “real life”, right? If someone wants to become a professional mathematician, he can learn this but I don’t want to waste my time and nerves memorizing information I won’t need. My father has always helped me with Mathematics but he can’t help me anymore. He doesn’t remember the material I am studying now, because he hasn’t used it since he left school. That’s why my perfect college will be where you can choose what subjects to have, with the agreement of the parents, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment